United Kingdom, 121 Winterstoke Road Head Office
Imperial Brands PLC is a dynamic FTSE100 FMCG company headquartered in Bristol with a global workforce of around 32,000 people. Borne out of a strong tobacco heritage, we have continually evolved to embrace changing market dynamics and our purpose is to create something better for the world’s smokers. Our high-quality cigarette brands include Davidoff, Gauloises Blondes, JPS and West and we are increasingly focused on developing a leading portfolio of next generation products built around the vaping brand blu
With a presence across the EU and in Africa, Asia and the Americas, we offer opportunities to set the strategic direction across multiple markets.
BristolPermanent, Full time
Competitive Salary + BenefitsA new opportunity has arisen for a Product Stewardship Toxicologist to join the Imperial Brands Group Science team at its Global Head Office in Bristol. Reporting to the Senior Product Stewardship Toxicologist, the successful applicant will be responsible for making professional judgements on the composition of the Imperial Brands product portfolio which is sold worldwide. This expert advice will help govern the composition of everything we make and sell. The role holder will liaise closely with suppliers, fellow scientists, and operational personnel across the globe to ensure we comply with our internal standards and technical regulations. The role will include undertaking risk assessments on ingredients, evaluation of materials used in the production of our products, as well as managing the investigation of scientific testing strategies to support Product Stewardship.
- Application of toxicology evaluations for ingredients and materials proposed for use in Imperial Brands products and providing toxicological expertise to support our key stakeholders.
- Collation, interpretation and presentation of information on ingredients/materials to support both the risk assessment process and for regulatory disclosure;
- Serve as Scientific Lead for Imperial Brand’s innovation projects and coordinate the testing strategy in line with our stewardship requirements;
- Representing the Group Science department and the Product Stewardship Toxicology team at internal and external forums, where required;
- Develop new working procedures by compiling objective evidence and validation for review;
- Maintaining a professional knowledge of the relevant regulations, standards and guidelines, as well as professional standards (CPD and registration as a European Registered Toxicologist);
- Assisting with the Company’s obligations to comply with the European General Product Safety Directive (EUGPSD) by actively participating in the management of factory and consumer matters;
Skills & experience
- A post-graduate qualification or equivalent in Toxicology (MSc and/or PhD), with proven work experience in a commercial, industrial or regulatory environment;
- EU Registered Toxicologist status or equivalent. Applicants working towards EU registration, will also be considered;
- Strong understanding of Product Stewardship and Consumer Safety processes;
- An understanding and/or experience of Project Management and the ability to design and manage experimental study plans to answer specific scientific questions related to the products;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to review and extract scientific literature, and to convey complex scientific information to both fellow scientists and senior management;
- Self-motivated with a logical and organised approach to meeting deadlines;
- Excellent mathematical and analytical skills;
- Positive ‘I can’ attitude and effective problem solver;
- Stakeholder engagement and networking skills;
- Willingness to undertake international travel, primarily in the EU;
Experience within the tobacco or e-vapour industry, as well as an understanding of Lean/Six Sigma principles is desired, but not essential.
What we offer
Imperial Tobacco offers a competitive package of salary, bonus scheme, pension and 25 days holiday (with an additional 4 days on top to cover the Christmas period and bank holidays).
Interested applicants should apply with their CV highlighting their suitability for the role.
Opening date: 24th June 2019
Closing date: 23rd July 2019